Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Collected Thoughts #greatday

I got the position as RHA Representative on the Student Advisory Council!  I am so excited!  Seriously, this has been something I've thought about and hoped for for a while and now its working out.  I finally worked up the guts to ask my boss yesterday, and today I waited anxiously for the response. When I'd resigned myself to the fact that I probably wouldn't hear back very soon, I decided I'd try to wait patiently.  This afternoon, between episodes of Modern Family, I decided to check my email and sure enough, there was the response from my boss letting me know that I could have the position and that he'd send the info right over!  I couldn't believe it and I shouted a little bit because I was so excited!

Writing about it, I know it seems so little and inconsequential, but I am so grateful for the little things in my life that remind me exactly why I love living so much.

I once felt that acting, singing, and playing music were what brought me the most fulfillment in my life.  Not true.  Somewhere, along the path I paved towards becoming Sterling Scholar, I stumbled across my true love, leadership.  Its something so simple, but something that has become a HUGE part of who I am.  I have come to discover so many opportunities within various leadership groups, and I have grown to love each and every one of those.  In high school, it was being part of club presidencies; in college, it became something to study in classes, try in different groups like RHA and the Student Service Association.  Opportunities just seemed to unfold and I felt myself light up.  Its that feeling I can't seem to feel enough.  The feeling where all of me just feels alive and engaged, throwing myself into a group or cause without abandon.  I can, and plan to, devote the rest of my life in the pursuit of leadership development and sharing what I learn with others.

The side of me, the passionate side that couldn't get enough of life, I thought had died down over the last few years has awakened.  A side of me that I thought I'd outgrown has come back in full bloom and I couldn't be more happy to catch that glimpse of me.  Things like this remind me who I am and where I find true fulfillment in my life.

Thank you Ben for giving me this opportunity.
Thank you to all of my club advisers, teachers, examples, and mentors for helping me to find myself and discover this side of me.
Thank you to all the people who are so willing to work with me, who are patient and understanding as I stretch myself, learn, experiment, experience, grow, and (sometimes) succeed!

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment